Even though the temperatures outside may be slightly dropping, doesn’t mean you should ignore your air conditioning unit! While having cool air may not be your first priority during some of the chiller days in Florida, any homeowner should be concerned with the air quality in their home. Here are some tips and tricks on how to improve the air quality of your home all year round, given to you directly by our AC repair in St. Petersburg specialists!
Keep the chemicals away
One of the easiest ways to improve your home’s air quality is to cut down on the amount of pollutants in your home. This includes:
- Do not smoke in your house. Not only will the tobacco smoke stay in the air, it will cling to your walls and upholstery and emit fumes long after your cigarette has gone out. If you have to smoke, do so outside.
- Reduce your use of harsh cleaners and cleaners with strong smells. The more natural, the better!
- Bring your hobbies outside’ painting, woodworking, and gluing all emit fumes that can be harmful when breathed in regularly.
- Never idle your car or lawnmower in or near your garage, the fumes are incredibly toxic.
Focus on your air conditioner:
- Replace after 10-15 years. Simply put, the newer the machine, the more efficient it will be. Unfortunately, not many homeowners follow this rule, as about 20% of all homes built during the 1980s have air conditioning equipment over 20 years over.
- Invest in repair. Even if you aren’t using the unit every day, you will still want to invest in a quality air conditioning repair company. Using a professional is the best way as they will be able to notice small details that can go missed by an untrained eye! Our specialists of AC repair in St. Petersburg will be able to fix your unit right up!
- Keep the moisture low. Generally speaking, air that is dry is of better quality, so a rule of thumb is to keep your humidifier set to less than 60%.